French Toast is a yummy luscious breakfast treat in the US with a French twist … but do you know the humble creation and unglamorous origin of French Toast ?
French Toast in French is called “pain perdu” which literally translates as ” lost bread”. In the old days nothing went to waste and old or stale bread or pain rassis was just recycled into a delicious treat. Dipped in milk, eggs and sugar with a dash of cinnamon then baked or fried it became known in the US as “French Toast” as we enjoy it today!
- Egg White Cinnamon French Toast (with Banana, Almond, and Date Yeast Bread) (considerthepeel.wordpress.com)
- No Pain Perdu, No Gain (French Toast) (justthetritip.wordpress.com)
- French Toast Sandwich with Apple Butter and Bacon (kleiosgreasyspoon.wordpress.com)
- Simple French Toast with Strawberry Sauce (thefoodgrind.com)
- Gluten-free French Toast (nexttonicx.com)