La Galette des rois
January 6th is l’épiphanie or la Galette des rois /King’s Cake Day celebrated all over France reminiscent of the biblical tradition of the 3 wise men’s journey bearing gifts after the birth of Jesus. Should you get the fève or bean hidden in the galette at the Tirage des Rois you shall be crowned king or queen for the day. My favorite is la galette à la frangipane ( tastes a lot like my other favorite almond cake le pithiviers). I enjoyed this very simple video recipe in French should you be so inclined to bake your own buttery and flaky galette… will probably try a new galette from one of L.A’s fine French bakeries! (here are my Top French bakeries in LA )
Bonne recette! Easy recipe!
Les fèves traditionelles ( impossible to accidently swallow! ) There’s a new theme each year ( even Cocal Cola!) Did you know that collecting these feves is called: Favophilie!
- Galettes: So Many Kinds, All So Different, All So Delicious (doriegreenspan.com)
- La Galette des rois (frenchalacarteblog.wordpress.com)
- Ambiance 6/1/12 (myfrenchkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate & Zucchini (chocolate and zucchini.com)
- Day 3 – a new French word, a new French recipe: galette (onefrenchword.wordpress.com)
- A slice of epiphany…or 3 (jaydeclements.wordpress.com)