JR “Photograffeur” all over L.A!
JR “Photograffeur”all over L.A!
“I wish for you to stand up for what you care about by participating in a global art project, and together we’ll turn the world…INSIDE OUT.”
JR is a French photographer and artist whose identity is unconfirmed. He describes himself as a “photograffeur”, he flyposts large black-and-white photographic images in public locations reminiscent of the graffiti artist.The street is “the largest art gallery in the world.” He started out on the streets of Paris.JR’s work “often challenges widely held preconceptions and the reductive images propagated by advertising and the media.”
JR’s work combines art and action and deals with commitment, freedom, identity and limits.He has been introduced by Fabrice Bousteau as: “the one we already call the Cartier-Bresson of the 21st century”.
On October 20, 2010, JR won the TED prize for 2011. “The TED Prize is awarded annually to an exceptional individual who receives $100,000 and, much more important, ‘One Wish to Change the World.’ Designed to leverage the TED community’s exceptional array of talent and resources, the Prize leads to collaborative initiatives with far-reaching impact.
- 2011 TED Prize winner (swiss-miss.com)
- Henri Cartier-Bresson, the Father of Street Photography, Would Have Been 104 Today (motherboard.vice.com)
- Join this TED Conversation: How will you take part in JR’s TED Prize wish? (ted.com)
- A TED Prize wish – 100,000 posters later (ted.com)
- [ dabble ] Inside Out with JR (thesamenessproject.com)
- Is your idea to change the world worth $1m? (guardian.co.uk)
- French Artist JR Adds a New Wrinkle to Los Angeles Mural Scene (kcet.org)